Wednesday, January 15, 2020

"Aye, Eye Captain" in Eye Contact Book

My art quilt "Aye, Eye Captain" in the book "Eye Contact: Creating a Connection."

I made the art quilt "Aye, Eye Captain" last year as a Project Quilting challenge and also for the Sacred Threads special exhibit "Eye Contact" exhibit "Eye Contact: Creating a Connection."

There was such a great response to the exhibit that most of the pieces are touring the country through December 2021. While they are still getting the venues, information about where you can see the exhibit is on their website. They also have photos and videos of the exhibit.

The book contains images of 248 art quilts all featuring human eyes looking at the viewer. All of the quilts are the same size: 23" wide and 5" tall. It's a small book but very interesting to see all the different interpretations.

You can purchase the book here.

Saturday, January 11, 2020

If 6 Turned Out to be 9 - Project Quilting

"If 6 Turned Out to be 9," 7" x 5", made by Pam Geisel for Project Quilting, Season 11, Challenge 1: Notably Numeric, Jan. 2020 in Yellow Springs, Ohio

Challenge recap for "Notably Numeric":

Your project must feature numbers, counting, or mathematics in its theme or implementation.

We were on vacation when the challenge was posted, so I had several days to think about it before I could work on it. And I had many, many ideas. When I finally started working on it I was going to use the number 6 (or 9) to make eyes or eye glasses. Perhaps I was inspired by the project I made for one of last year's challenges ("Aye, Eye Captain") that also ended up being in the Eye Contact Challenge, as I'd gotten the book from the exhibit for Christmas and had just been looking at it.

Here are just some of the many fonts that I considered. Don't they make great eyes/glasses? Some looked hopeful, while others looked angry.

As I was looking through all of the fonts that I have, I came across one called Jokerman.

I'm not sure where it came from and I don't think I've ever used it before, but it had such a wonderful curl to it that I decided I wanted to use that and not the eyes. (Perhaps another time.)

I traced the six in reverse onto fusible web then fused that to the back of some Robert Kaufman  Effervescence Gradation Rainbow fabric that I had left over from "Breathe - Inhale" and "Breathe - Exhale" that I made last fall.

I fused that to a bright purple Island Batik fabric and sewed the edges down. I basted the quilt to batting and a backing fabric and couched a dusty purple yarn around the design.

I popped it into a frame which can hang either horizontally or vertically (which really makes the 6 obvious).

More about If 6 Turned Out to be 9

= = =

Click on any of the photos to see larger images.

To read more about Project Quilting, go here.

To see other entries for this challenge, visit the Notably Numeric page.

Thursday, January 2, 2020

Custom Quilts made in 2019

It's my annual look back on the custom quilts I made during the year that I haven't shared yet (some were gifts).

Click on the photos to see larger views.

Quilt using shirts, ties, and vests from the recipient's father. 60" x 60"

Baby quilt from a wedding dress. 34" x 44"

(It's hard to photograph white so here are some detail photos)

A set of mini quilts for the seasons. 8" x 6" each on stiff innerfacing.

A quilted stocking to match the other ones the family had. It's been awhile since I've done cross stitch.

Framed fabric mosaic of the Clinton County Courthouse. 14" x 11" framed.

Two more framed pieces, made from a vintage wedding dress. I'm posting the photos that I took at an angle to show off the quilting and the buttons. And because white is hard to photograph. Both are 8" x 10"

I just realized I didn't make any t-shirt quilts in 2019. I've already had a few people inquire about t-shirt quilts for this year so if they happen, I'll share them in the 2020 year in review.