Sunday, November 22, 2020

Custom "50 Years" Art Quilt

"50 Years," 17" x 35", made by Pam Geisel, October 2020

I enjoy making custom quilts for people, especially ones made to celebrate milestones. I was recently contacted by someone who had purchased the quilt "Summer Storm" (at left) from me several years ago and they wanted me to make something similar to give to his wife for their 50th Anniversary.

Fortunately, I still had some of the fabric that I used in the original quilt although I did have to add a few additional fabrics. 

Since this was to celebrate their 50th Anniversary, he suggested having 50 squares, each with an "L" shape, since "L" in the Roman Numeral for 50. To make it visually interesting, the "L"s are randomly rotated and also don't have an perfect 90 degree angles.

Like on the original, I machine quilted it with wavy lines and did some hand stitching with embroider thread.

No comments: