Monday, June 7, 2021

She Paints with Fabric - Quilt of the Week

 

"She Paints With Fabric," 19" x 25.5", made by Pam Geisel

Did you know that I used do some painting? I didn't like oil painting because of the clean up. I did like watercolors because they were easy to clean and I liked how the water would sometimes make magic things happen. But I struggled with getting really bold colors, which is one of the reasons I switched to quilting, because the fabrics had such wonderful colors and patterns (plus it's easy to clean up after). So I took my artistic ability to a different medium but I like to say that I paint with fabric.


A little background: back in the early part of 2016 my friend (and amazing watercolor painter) Libby Rudolf was planning to have a show at the Winds Cafe here in Yellow Springs and she asked if I'd like to be a part of it. I said yes and then I suggested that she could make a painting of a quilt and I could make a quilt of a painter (both shown above).


At that time I was an ambassador for Island Batik, which meant they'd send me fabric and I'd make a quilt with their fabrics and blog about it. I thought this fabric, which looks like it has paint spots on it, would be perfect for this quilt. I made several other quilts using this fabric because I love it so much. (Of course it is now out-of-print.)


So this art quilt is special to me for several reasons, including the title, the fabrics, and the fact that it was my 500th quilt. And because today is my birthday, I'm going to offer double the discount on this piece.

Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% 20% off the original price of $735 through 6/13/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.

No comments: