Monday, May 31, 2021

The View From My Hammock - Quilt of the Week

 
The View From My Hammock," 20" x 27.5", made by Pam Geisel

We're almost half way through 2021 and things are opening back up and getting back to "normal." I came up with the idea for a Quilt of the Week to give me something to post on Social Media, since art shows and exhibits went away because of the pandemic, but I currently have two pieces out in exhibits, a group and a solo exhibit planned, and at least one art event on my schedule for the rest of the year, so I have more to promote but I'll continue with the Quilt of the Week.

This week's quilt, The View From My Hammock, was made from a photo I took in our backyard from (spoiler alert) my hammock. It's a layered applique created the way that the last two Quilt of the Week pieces (Time Lapse Moon Rise and High Line in New York City) were made, only those were made up mostly of square pieces for the sky and this one just wasn't working with square pieces so I switched to organic shapes.


The main thing I learned when making this was that making clouds is difficult. If you look at photos of clouds there are so many different shapes, textures, and colors and that even real clouds don't look real. For these clouds I added gray to the bottom of them to look like the shadows you see from the ground. I also incorporated lacey and sheer fabrics to provide them with visual texture.

Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% off the original price of $580 through 6/6/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.

No comments: