Monday, March 1, 2021

Life is Like a Box of Chocolates - Quilt of the Week

 
Life is Like a Box of Chocolates, 53" x 53", made by Pam Geisel

This piece started off as a sampler quilt although not only were the blocks (intentionally) different sizes, they we also (intentionally) different shapes as some (the flag) were rectangular. To make up for the different sizes and shapes, there was a lot of background fabric (the dark blue).

After being set aside for several years, I basted and quilted this piece with a tight, angular free motion quilting and then I did the unthinkable. I cut it apart into 81 5" squares.


I arranged the squares into 9 Nine Patch blocks and appliqued them onto one of two overdyed navy blue background fabrics, which is why you can see a bit of the batting and raw edges around the squares. The Nine Patches were arranged into an even larger Nine Patch with sashing fabric made from the original border fabric.


I find the more I look at this quilt, the more my brain tries to reassemble the sampler blocks. Some of the original quilt blocks were Bear’s Paw, Jacob’s Ladder, Log Cabin, and Path Through the Woods. Can you see them?

I named this quilt because it's a play on a chocolate "Sampler" box and it kind of looks like little quilted candies arranged inside a box.


Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% off the original price of $2500 through 3/7/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.

No comments: