Monday, March 8, 2021

Daybreak is Your Midnight - Quilt of the Week

 
Daybreak is Your Midnight, 36" x 36", handmade by Pam Geisel

I like to play with contrasts, especially in abstract art quilts. This one has dark vs. light, rectangles vs. circles, and lots of neutral colors vs. a pop of color.


I did some hand quilting on this piece and because there were places where I was going through as many as six layers of fabric, I sometimes had to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to pull the needle through.


The title comes from the lyrics of "Take a Pebble" by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer: "The daybreak is your midnight; the colours have all died. Disturbing the waters of our lives." I though this fit because when colors "die" they become neutral, like blacks and browns, and also I liked how the "disturbing the water" is like ripples, which is what I see the large, hand-quilted circles as.


This art quilt was featured in Art Quilting Studio Magazine's Summer 2018 issue on using hand dyed fabric.


It has also been included in several notable exhibitions including The Ohio Designer Craftsmen's Best of 2015 traveling show, in the 11th Annual Ohio Online Visual Artist Registry Juried Exhibition at the Columbus, Ohio Metro Main Library in 2017, and at AQS QuiltWeek in both Grand Rapids, Michigan and Paducah, Kentucky in 2019.

Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% off the original price of $1585 through 3/14/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.

No comments: