Monday, March 15, 2021

Sunrise Celebration - Quilt of the Week

 

Sunrise Celebration, 20 " x 31", handmade by Pam Geisel

If this quilt looks similar to last week's Quilt of the Week, that's because it was made with the same technique, just with much more color. Like "Daybreak is Your Midnight" it uses hand dyed fabric and hand quilting but unlike Daybreak it has some sashing between the horizontal columns. The sashing, is that wide because I wanted to use this great fabric that had black with little brown stars on it but I'd only bought a quarter of a yard, so I calculated how much I'd need for the binding and what was left got to be sashing.

The hand quilting on this piece is three little stitches in all of the inset color pieces. I originally used a hand spun thread but noticed a few years later that the stitches were disintegrating so I removed them and redid the hand stitching with embroidery floss. The original thread was a maroon color but when I redid it I used maroon in the yellows but orange in the blues and purples. I used a chunky, multi-colored yarn along the sashing and the binding.

I made it for the Project Quilting challenge "Sunrise/Sunset" so I designed and created it all in one week. The name comes from the Sunset Celebration that happens every evening in Key West only I wrote the title wrong on the label, so now it's a celebration of the sunrise, although with most of my art pieces that have sunsets, they could all be sunrises, also.


It was included in the Fiber577 exhibit at the 577 Foundation in Perrysburg, OH, in 2015.

Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% off the original price of $740 through 3/21/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.

No comments: