Monday, January 18, 2021

Inside of a Dog - Quilt of the Week - 1/18/2021



Inside of a Dog, made by Pam Geisel, 22"w x 17"h x 7"d

This week's "2021 Quilt of the Week" is Inside of a Dog. I made this in March of 2012 for the "Inside the Box" exhibit at the Dayton Art Institute.

The DAI contacted several area artists and gave us each a wood box to create a 3D piece of art. We were allowed to have objects outside of the box as long as they didn't extent out too far.


One of the things that I remember about making this piece is that I spent as much time thinking about how to assemble it as I did actually working on it. I knew I had to get the order of what to work on right or else I'd have to take something apart in order to fix it.

I also hadn't made any 3D quilted art before this. (There have only been a few since then including "How Does Your Garden Grow" and "Taking Flight")


I did document the entire process (including how I came up with the idea) in the original blog post, if you want to read about it).

In addition to being in the exhibit at the Dayton Art Institute, this piece was also included in the juried show "Fantastic Fibers" at the Yeiser Art Center in Paducah, KY, in 2014.


Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% off the original price of $800 through 1/24/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.

No comments: