Monday, July 5, 2021

Morning Glories for Georgia - Quilt of the Week

 

Morning Glories for Georgia, 24" x 30", made by Pam Geisel

This is one of my favorite quilts. It's actually quite simple in it's construction. There are only 35 pieces to it (compared to Lavender Diamonds which has over 4000 pieces in it). Unlike Lavender Diamonds, this one has fairly simple quilting because I didn't want to take away from the painterly quality of the hand-dyed fabric was the most interesting part.

When I was designing this piece I knew I wanted to do a large-scale image of a flower like Georgia O'Keeffe did, only I couldn't decide what type of flower it should be. I searched for images waiting to be inspired but nothing jumped out. Finally I decided to let the fabric tell me and when I looked at my stash of hand-dyed fabrics, there were good options of dark green and shades of purple, so the fabric told me it wanted to be purple morning glories.

The dark green background was not made from one piece as I didn't have a single piece that large, which is one reason why the edges of the flowers are cropped off, so I could use four different pieces to make the background. The other reason the edges of the flowers are cropped off it because that's what Georgia O'Keeffe did when she made her painting of large-scale flowers.

Hanging out at the Winds with "High Line in New York City" and "Daybreak is Your Midnight."

Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% off the original price of $560 through 7/11/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.

No comments: