Monday, May 24, 2021

High Line in New York City - Quilt of the Week

High Line in New York City, 30" x 29", handmade by Pam Geisel

I'd read about the High Line, a 1.45-mile-long linear urban park in Manhattan built on an elevated section of the New York Central Railroad that is no longer used for trains, and thought it was pretty cool. I contacted a friend who lived in New York City and asked if she'd take some photos of the High Line and send them to me so I could make an art quilt.

She did and you can read about the process of making this quilt here.

The next year (exactly 6 years ago, Facebook reminded me a few days ago) we were able to make a trip to New York City. We had a great meal with our friend and also went to the High Line, where we started at one end and walked all the way to the other end, but never saw the view that I used for the art quilt. Perhaps we didn't notice it because we were facing the wrong way so we walked back to the other direction and still didn't find it.


Then we noticed there was a spur near the Chelsey Market and when we walked down to the little dead end, there's the view! It was interesting making art from a photo that I had not taken as I imagined the path went between the railroad tracks and the railing but it's actually on the other side of the bushes to the right of the railing, where most of the people are in this photo. (The bushes were larger in the photo that my friend took so you couldn't see the people there).

We really enjoyed visiting the High Line and will definitely go back when we return to New York City.

Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% off the original price of $970 through 5/30/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.

No comments: