Friday, April 12, 2013

Industrial Dayton - Day 2

"Dayton Landmark Quilts Redux: Industrial Dayton C" (number three of three) made by Pam Geisel, 17" x 42", April 2013; reference photo on the left taken by Ronnie Doyal. 

It might not look like I got a lot done but I spent several hours going through my fabric stash to choose the fabrics I wanted to use for this quilt. I like to use batik fabrics for a few reasons:

- They are usually a fairly solid color but have some pattern (texture) to them so they don't read as a flat color.

- They are a higher thread count and less likely to fray on the edges. This technique is raw edge applique so the edges remain exposed.

- They have color all the way through so I don't have to worry about light "outlines" on the edge of the pieces.

I fused the tree and sky pieces directly to the fusible innerfacing.

Tomorrow...starting the buildings on the right side.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To read about all of the steps in making this quilt, click here.

 

No comments: