Positively Pinwheels, 20" x 20", handmade by Pam Geisel
The traditional block for the fourth Focus Through the Prism quilt was the Pinwheel block. There was no way to make this one large block with a black square in the center like Monkey Tail or to have four blocks but have the corners where they meet make the black square like both A Second Self or Cabin Sweet Cabin did, so this one has a nine-patch arrangement with eight pinwheel blocks around the black center square.
All of the seven quilts in the Focus Through the Prism series:
- Use all of the seven colors but have one main color (with smaller pieces of fabric almost the same color to give it some visual texture)
- Have a black border with brown stars
- Have bits of the focus color on the black square in the middle, on the border, and on top of the other colors
- Have a piece of black yarn couched on top
- Have curved quilting lines 1/4" apart that echo the shape of the yarn
In this piece the focus color is ORANGE and the yarn represents WIND BLOWING.
My series was featured in Art Quilting Studio Magazine's Autumn 2018 issue on working in a series and they were also included with several quilts that other people made for the Focus Through the Prism challenge including the Wisconsin Quilt Expo in 2016. Above is Positively Pinwheels with some of the other orange quilts.
Because this is the Quilt of the Week, it is 10% off the original price of $300 and as a special deal, all of the Focus Through the Prism quilts are 10% off through 5/16/21 if you purchase directly from me. Details can be found here.