Thursday, September 5, 2013

Yellow Springs Americana Series: Lazy Summer Afternoon

"Lazy SummerAfternoon," 18.75" x 28", made by Pam Geisel, July 2013

This is not our front porch. I love our front porch but it’s different than this one. We did used to have a red porch swing, but we don’t anymore.

While I was working on this quilt, my husband was putting new siding on our house. He went with a tongue-and groove cedar that he stained, I went with yellow clapboards. He installed two new windows while I only had to make one.

"Lazy Summer Afternoon" detail

The clapboards on the house were made by folding over the bottom edge but laying them down starting at the top. Getting the angle of the clapboards and the window were a little tricky.

The railing is pieced, everything else is raw edge appliqué. The “chains” that the swing hangs from are black cord that is couched down.

More about this quilt and the Americana Series

No comments: