Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Yellow Springs Americana Series: Kings Yard Farmers Market


"Kings Yard Farmers Market," 18.5" x 28", made by Pam Geisel, July 2013

We are fortunate to have three Farmers Markets in Yellow Springs, two on Saturday morning and one on Thursday afternoon. I knew I wanted to make a quilt of the market, but wasn’t sure how I’d make it into a vertical format like the other quilts in this series.

I went to the market and took lots of photos and decided that the focus should be inside one of the canopies with the other canopies in the background.

Reference photo

I cropped the photo, changed the lettuce to a photo of apples and pumpkins that I had taken last fall, changed the honey to a collection of different color tomatoes (also taken last fall), added a canopy, and changed the trucks in the background to crates of produce.

"Kings Yard Farmers Market" detail

This is all machine raw edge appliqué so there were a lot of raw edges to be quilted down, including all the tomatoes. 

The fabric I used for the barrels holding the apples is the same fabric I used for the center of the sunflowers in "Sunflowers at Whitehall Farm" and in the center of the flowers on "Picnic at Ellis Pond."

More about this quilt and the Americana Series


No comments: