Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Yellow Springs Americana Series: My Soul in a Blackberry Pie


"My Soul in a Blackberry Pie," 18.75" x 28", made by Pam Geisel, July 2013

For this quilt the picket fence and most of the window elements were machine pieced.

The pie, rocks, bushes, and chair are raw edge appliqué so those pieces were made by drawing the reverse of the images onto a paper-backed fusible web, fusing it to the fabric, cutting it out, then layering the pieces on the quilt.

"My Soul in a Blackberry Pie," detail

My husband makes fantastic pies so I used a photo of one of his pies as a reference. He likes to make the lattice crust tops so I made mine the same way by cutting out the fabric strips and weaving them together. I quilted berry shapes on the purple fabric.

While I didn't do this intentionally, I noticed that most of the quilts in this series play with perspective, having one object in the foreground (the pie) and other objects in the background (the chair). By making the pie larger than the chair, I indicate to the view that it is closer to them (close enough to touch...don't you want to?)

More about this quilt and the Americana Series

No comments: