Monday, July 1, 2013

Adventures in Design: Shape


“Bent Out of Shape,” 9” x 7.5”, made by Pam Geisel June 2013

The final design element is Shape.

Our assignment was to first doodle some organic shapes in a piece of paper. Then we divided another piece of paper into rectangles, a geometric shape. Then we drew one of the simple organic shapes inside the rectangles, expanding and stretching it to fit as needed.



I started off with a leaf shape, although once I ‘bent it out of shape’ it looks more like a tear drop to me. I emphasized the shape by making by highlighting half of the leaf with a lighter color. I really like how the four pointed ends come together creating a focal point.

More about this quilt and the Adventure in Design series


1 comment:

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Pam, what a great series of design exercises! Thanks for sharing your creative process.