Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Black & White African Safari Baby Quilt

"Black & White African Safari" baby quilt, 34" x 34", handmade by Pam Geisel

In October, Village Artisans is having a community lobby show with the theme B&W+1 (black and white plus one color). In August, the Quiltsy Team (a group of on-line quilters on Etsy) is having a challenge called "Black & White & Spread All Over" in which we were to make something that was, you guessed it, black and white plus one color! Two birds! One stone!


I have several black & white fabrics in my stash so I chose one that had black and white drawings of African safari animals including giraffes, zebras, elephants, and cheetahs. I decided that my plus one color would be red.


I pieced them with alternating black or red squares, with the red squares in the center. I also added a thin red inner border around the squares.


I added a black outer border then quilted "x"s through the squares using red thread. The backing and binding are a black & white zebra print.


You can see the other Quiltsy Team pieces on their Pinterest page. The exhibit at Village Artisans (in Yellow Springs) will be Oct. 4-Nov. 13 with an artist reception on Oct. 19 from 6-9 pm.

More about Black & White African Safari Quilt

No comments: