Monday, October 3, 2016

Pumpkin Fest: Psychedelic Pumpkin

"Psychedelic Pumpkin," 16 x 14, handmade by Pam Geisel, September 2016

This month the Island Batik Ambassador's are making pieces that fit the theme "Pumpkin Fest."

Last month I was working on bookmarks. I pulled out the red and orange Island Batik fabrics from the Lavish collection, then I added the light purple from the Desert Rose collection. As I was doing the mindless cutting of many strips of fabric, I was also thinking about the upcoming Island Batik Ambassador challenges when it occurred to me that I could use these same strips of fabric for the parts of a pumpkin!

I used the dark purple from the Desert Rose collection for the background and a purple with orange on it from the same collection for the border.


Because the 1" strips were pieced and then raw edge appliqued to the background I decided to finish them off with by couching a red cord on top of the raw edges. I added the brown stem last to cover the ends of the cord.


Here's one of the bookmarks, I call them "Pumpkin Spice."

You can click on any of the photos to see them larger.

More about Psychedelic Pumpkin

1 comment:

works4me said...

I love how the pumpkin seems to glow. Nicely done.