Thursday, August 13, 2009

Painting on Fabric workshop with Annette Kennedy

I have painted fabric before, and while I really enjoy that process, you don't have a lot of control over what it looks like. You can choose what colors to use but sometimes they mix in surprising ways. You can decide to salt the fabric and sometimes it's really noticeable and other times it's more subtle.

Being the control-freak that I am, I wanted to paint on fabric in a more deliberate way, so I was excited when I found out that Annette Kennedy was coming to the area to speak to the Miami Valley Quilter's Guild and also be giving a workshop on painting on fabric, and she didn't disappoint.

There were about 20 people in the workshop (I say people because one was a man). Above is the Calla Lily project that everyone made in the workshop (and the design is copyrighted by Annette Kennedy). I don't have a before photo of the project before we started painting, but you can see one on her website. Each of the yellow flowers is one piece of fabric, so all the shading you see is from the Setacolor textile paints, as is the shading on the left side of each stem and the veins in the leaf.

I've got several other projects that need my attention right now, so this goes on the TBFL pile (to be finished later). But I'll post photos when I do finish it. And I'll post projects of my own that I've painted on, as I definitely plan on doing more of this.

2 comments:

FabricFascination said...

Very beautiful. It sounds like a rewarding class to take. Love it!

Lzyjo said...

Wow! That before and after picture on her website is astonishing! What a great workshop! (Sorry I don't have a quiltfinger ID yet.)