Friday, September 11, 2015

Chasing Geese - Project Quilting

"Chasing Geese", 20" x 20", made for Project Quilting, Focus Through the Prism, Challenge 5: Flying Geese, Sept. 2015 in Yellow Springs, Ohio

This is my fifth entry in the Project Quilting "Focus Through the Prism" challenge. To play along you need to purchase a ROYGBIV hand-dyed bundle of fabric from Cherrywood Fabrics and then at the beginning of the month a traditional quilting block is selected. Participants get to chose which of the seven focus fabrics they want to emphasize for the month, but other fabrics can be added.

All quilts will be made 20" x 20" with the intention of displaying them together in the future.

September's block is "Flying Geese."


I wanted my design to be similar to the other quilts I've made for the Focus Through the Prism challenges: "Monkey Tail",  "A Second Self", "Cabin Sweet Cabin", and "Positively Pinwheels!"



I pieced eight sets of two Flying Geese blocks with indigo backgrounds to make 5" squares then pieced them together around by 5" black center. I used the same border fabric and couched a piece of black yarn, this time in the pattern of a bird in flight. Then I quilted black quilting lines that echoed the yarn at 1/4" apart.

I used a knife-edge facing to bind the quilt.

More about Chasing Geese and my Focus Through the Prism series


=   =   =

Click on any of the photos to see larger images.

To read more about Project Quilting's Focus Through the Prism, go here.

To see other entries for this challenge, visit the Flying Geese link up.

No comments: