Thursday, February 22, 2024

Hourglass Quilt Block Cards - Project Quilting

 

Hourglass quilt square cards, 4" x 6", made by Pam Geisel for Project Quilting, Season 15, Challenge 4: Hourglass

Recap for "Hourglass":

You must use an hourglass SHAPE in your project, but you do not have to use the exact hourglass BLOCK.

It's a busy week; between work and a custom quilt, and an upcoming workshop, I knew it was going to have to be a small project. I was interested in how the Hourglass quilt block would work with a striped fabric and the only stripe from my stash that spoke to me this week was a rainbow stripe. 

I used the Scrapish.com Hourglass tutorial which is very easy and yields two complete squares, although that meant one of the stripes was going horizontal (which was what I was envisioning) and the other has the stripes going vertical (and also lining up) which I think helps reinforce the concept of an hourglass. I used the rainbow dot fabric because I thought it was fun: it was a complement to the colors in the stripe but a contrast in the shapes.

For this week I made four quilt block square cards. Usually the quilt squares that I make for my cards are either Pinwheel variations, Nine Patch, or occasionally Four Patch, but I think I will make more of the Hourglass squares using stripes.

Be sure to check out the other creative interpretations on the Hourglass block at the Project Quilting page.

More about Hourglass Quilt Square Cards

= = =

Click on any of the photos to see larger images.

Read more about Project Quilting

To see other entries for this challenge, visit the Hourglass page.

2 comments:

PersimonDreams said...

I love it! Great combo of fabrics and way to understand that you had to keep is smaller for a busier week! Great work ;)

Danette said...

These are very lovely!