Sunday, January 14, 2024

Rainbow Pinwheel Birdhouse - Project Quilting

 

"Rainbow Pinwheel Birdhouse" 8" x 10", made by Pam Geisel for Project Quilting, Season 15, Challenge 1: Bird House


Recap for "Bird House":

Use the inspiration of a bird’s house for your project.

It's time again for Project Quilting...this is the 15th year! A little recap by the numbers:
  • 729 quilts I've made to date
  • 268 (almost 40%) of these are art quilts
  • 80 (just over 10%) have been made for Project Quilting
  • 9 of these quilts have had a bird on them (including 3 PQ quilts: "Sometimes I Dream of Flying," "Louie," and "Tweet Dreams")
  • 1 framed fabric mosaic (not a PQ piece) had a bird's nest on it ("Home Tweet Home")
And for PQ 4.4 "Wish Upon a Star" I made a birdhouse ("Make a Little Birdhouse in Your Soul." After making that piece I made 15 more birdhouses!

I wasn't sure if I wanted to make another bird house for this challenge so I considered lots of other bird's houses but nothing was really speaking to me until I came across a photo of a quilt that was made of brightly colored pinwheels.


Now the Pinwheel block is probably my favorite block and I love the other patterns that develop when pinwheels are placed next to each other. But what I saw in this photo was that a birdhouse could be made using a pinwheel block for the bottom with the pointy part made from part of a pinwheel block above it.


I embellished it with multi-colored zig zag band for the roofline and colorful buttons that were shaped as both stars and hearts.


And the backing fabric? Birds of course!


A dozen other birdhouses. More about these are on my blog.

= = =

Click on any of the photos to see larger images.

Read more about Project Quilting

To see other entries for this challenge, visit the Bird House page.

2 comments:

Karin said...

I adore this - it looks so good!

PersimonDreams said...

I love this! Great piece!