Saturday, February 19, 2022

What I Stand On Is What I Stand For - Project Quilting

"What I Stand On Is What I Stand For," 17" x 21", made by Pam Geisel for Project Quilting, Season 13, Challenge 4: Mining for Diamonds

Recap for "Mining for Diamonds":

Use the diamond as your project inspiration. There are lots of ways to get there: combine triangles, split a rectangle, make inset seams, focus on the rhombus, use a quilt block that with the shape, or instead be inspired by the facets of a true stone.

Diamond gems are nice but mining for them can be controversial, and mining in general isn't always good for the planet, which inspired this piece and does include diamond shapes behind the letters (yes, I took the easy way out and used a square rotated on point).


I used all hand-dyed fabrics for this piece. The first thing I did was trace the reverse shape of the continents onto fusible webbing, fuse that to a piece of green fabric, cut it out, then sewed it to the blue oceans fabric with one piece of batting and no backing using a variegated blue green thread. I wanted the earth to push away from the background a bit so after that part was done I placed it on the backing fabric with some extra pieces of batting behind the earth then sewed it to the background only at the edges.


The letter blocks are layered fabric: a piece of square fabric on the bottom, a diamond shaped fabric, a fabric letter, with a piece of sheer fabric on top. The letters have fusible on the back (it makes them easier to cut) but the squares and diamonds don't as I wanted them to have a bit of dimension and not lay flat against the background.


Once the earth was in place I quilted a quilting line 1/4" from the edge of the earth and used that as a guide to place my letter blocks. I quilted the bottom part of the letter block on top of the quilting line I just sewed. Then I quilted the top of the blocks using the square as a guide. Next I quilted through the middle of the blocks using the points of the diamonds as a guide. Then I quilted the second and fourth lines trying to get them equally between the other lines.


I added a sparkly green cord around the earth and below the letters at the bottom and above the letters at the top and I hand sewed some blue bugle beads in the four corners and also on the left and right sides of the globe.

More about What I Stand On Is What I Stand For.

= = =

Click on any of the photos to see larger images.

To read more about Project Quilting, go here.

To see other entries for this challenge, visit the Mining for Diamonds page.

 

 

2 comments:

Mel Beach said...

I absolutely love your take on this week's Project Quilting challenge theme!

PersimonDreams said...

Wow! What a powerful and beautiful piece. Incredible.