Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Cosmic Connectivity & Aye, Eye Captain at Sacred Threads in Virginia, July 2019

Eye Contact art quilts at the Sacred Threads show. Photo by Theresa Martin

I have two pieces in the biennial Sacred Threads exhibition. The photo above, taken by Theresa Martin, is from the "Eye Contact" part of the exhibit. For this part artists were asked to make small art quilts that measured 5" high by 23" wide featuring human eyes facing the viewer. (There are more photos of the Eye Contact exhibit on Theresa's blog.)

I thought this was a very creative way to display all of them. Mine is in the lower right of the photo. I call it "Aye, Eye Captain" and it is a pixelized image of a pair of eyes.

My art quilt "Cosmic Connectivity" (left) is in the main portion of the juried show, which highlights art quilts that have a connection to the sacred and/or as an expression of spiritual journey exploring themes of joy, inspiration, spirituality, healing, grief and peace/brotherhood.

This is what I wrote about my piece when I submitted it:

Some people look into the night sky and feel insignificant. I look into the night sky and feel connected to everything else. This is my interpretation of that feeling, that even if I’m not physically attached, I am still connected to other things, similar to the lace pieces that aren’t a part of the larger lace but still connected by the yarn. Carl Sagan says “The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.”

The show is up from July 11-28, 2019 at the Floris United Methodist Church, 13600 Frying Pan Road in Herndon, VA (near Washington DC).

No comments: