Friday, November 3, 2017

"Be Still My Beaded Hearts"

"Be Still My Beaded Hearts," 17" x 8" x 1", made by Pam Geisel, Oct. 2017

This year I've made several custom quilts, new baby quilts, bookmarks, wine glass coasters, and printed note cards, but it's been awhile since I've made an art quilt.

I made this one so I'd have something to do as a demonstration during the Yellow Springs Open Studios last month. I fused six connected white hearts to a rainbow batik background then stitched them down. 


During the Open Studios I added over 300 beads by hand, matching the bead color to the background color. I tried to use as many different types of beads as possible.


I was a little concerned about the weight of the beads so I wrapped it around some wooden stretcher bars.


I made this design because we're having a lobby show at Village Artisans and the theme is "What Makes Your Heart Sing" and two of the things that make my heart sing are rainbow colors and sparkly glass beads. I also like taking close up photos of beads. The exhibit runs from Nov. 9-Jan 2 at Village Artisans, 100 Corry St. in Yellow Springs.

As always you can click on the photos to see them larger (seriously, I think these are awesome photos!)

More about Be Still My Beaded Hearts

No comments: