Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Purple Raindrop

"Purple Raindrop" 13.5" x 15.5", handmade by Pam Geisel, June 2016

The basis for this piece is a wonky log cabin. I selected five pieces of Island Batik fabrics from the "Desert Rose" collection (I used the two purple pieces in my "Lavender Mountains" art quilt). I selected the fabrics that had the water droplet print on them.


I started with a purple center the added the pieces going around it like a log cabin block except that I cut the fabric at an angle instead of even along the long edges.


Once it was all pieced and basted with the batting, I played around with where to add the couched yarn. I did this before I quilted it because I was most likely going to couch the yarn in the ditch between two fabrics and I wanted to couch and quilt at the same time.



This is when I decided to couch between the purple fabrics, turn the block on point, and add the wooden beads. The teardrop shape at the bottom is an earring made with blue wooden beads.


The second earring was taken apart and the beads were sewn as if they were falling from the top to the bottom.

I didn't intend to make a tribute art piece to the musician, Prince. It just turned out that this was more purple than any other color and had shapes that looked like raindrops. I'm not actually a fan of his music, but we do share a birthday (today, June 7).

More about Purple Rain Drop


No comments: