Saturday, July 14, 2012

Purple Mountain Majesty: New Art Quilt

"Purple Mountain Majesty," 34" x 26", June 2012

I must confess that I did not make the beautiful one-of-a-king batik of the mountain that is the center of the quilt, although I did rescue it. When a local frame shop closed, there was a pile of discards sitting at the curb, including the batik, which was stapled to wood stretcher bars and had some water damage. Since it was fabric, I took it home, removed it from the stretcher bars and washed it...good as new. I didn't have any specific plans for it so I put it into the fabric closet and didn't really give it much thought.

A few years later I came across a beautiful commercially printed batik that had light purple leaves on a dark bluish-purple background. I brought it home and took the mountain batik out of the closet. They looked like they were made for each other.


I pieced the two borders to the mountain batik then used a purple variegated thread to quilt around the mountain and stream and also quilted around the light purple leaves in the border. I used my favorite strip-faced binding technique.

I hand stitched "seed" stitches in the dark blue background using two different colors of purple embroidery floss. I also couched a light purple cord between the inner and outer borders.

More about Purple Mountain Majesty

= = =

This quilt will be at Village Artisans through the early August 2012.

No comments: