Monday, October 3, 2011

"Symphonic Sextet"

"Symphonic Sextet", 19" x 16.5"

Sometimes I’m contacted about donating a piece of art for a fund-raising event. Sometimes I say yes and sometimes I say no. This year the Springfield (Ohio) Symphony Orchestra contacted me about a silent auction fund-raising art event they are having to celebrate conductor and musical director Peter Stafford Wilson’s 10th year with the orchestra.

They wanted art that reflects on Peter's tenure with the orchestra. Since I’d just finished my “All That Jazz” quilt series, I said yes. I already had the reference materials and I still had some of the fabric I used. I simplified the layout and included all 6 of the instruments in one quilt.
Detail of the strings on the guitar.

The art will be on display at the first three concerts (Oct. 8, Nov. 12, and Dec. 10) with the silent auction ending at the December concert (which will feature the music of Billy Joel). I had the chance to see some of the other pieces of art that are being donated and there are many wonderful pieces.

In between the art will be displayed at Frame Haven. People can place bids on the silent auction items at the three concerts or also at Frame Haven, located 1300 Goodwin Avenue in Springfield, Ohio.

Detail of the mother-of-pearl chips below the piano.

There will be a small artist reception held in the lobby before the first concert, this Sat., Oct. 8 starting at 7:15 pm. All concerts take place in the Kuss Auditorium at the Clark State Performing Arts Center, 300 South Fountain Ave. in Springfield, Ohio.

No comments: